Friday, October 18, 2013

The Affordable Healthcare Act

                Is it Obamacare aka Affordable Healthcare Act or Affordable Healthcare Act aka Obamacare? Either way, from its inception it has been plagued with negativity and now that the role out has begun, it seems Obamacare is already limping.  In this editorial published on The Huffington Post blog, Jeffrey Young writes about a problem with the website.
                Before I continue, I would like to apply some recently acquired knowledge and consider the source of which I found this article.  The Huffington Post was founded by Arianna Huffington, Kenneth Lerer, Andrew Breitbart, and Jonah Peretti. The site was launched on May 9, 2005, as a liberal/left commentary outlet and alternative to news aggregators such as the Drudge Report.  In 2011, The Huffington Post was purchased by none other than AOL which is now owned by Time Warner. So we can trace it back to one of the six major corporations. M-m-m-m Media Madness for $2000.00 please. What is “Concentrated Ownership” (This is an inside SI pun). 
                The one encouraging aspect is that in 2012, The Huffington Post became the first commercially run United States digital media enterprise to win a Pulitzer Prize. With this, and the fact the Arianna Huffington, after selling to AOL for $315 million, stayed on as editor-in-chief, in my mind gives it some credibility.  Being a blog, I believe its intended audience is the general public and the writer Jeffrey Young is a health care reporter at The Huffington Post and has covered health care, business, and politics for more than a decade.
                In the Editorial, “Obamacare Website Failure Threatens Health Coverage for Millions of Americans,” Young stays with the issue of which he is writing about. I do not read into his article any bias on Young’s part in favoring or disfavoring Obamacare.  He references many sources throughout his article and quotes one individual from an established university, acknowledging this individual as an Obamacare supporter. Young also quotes the president of the Alexandria, Va.-based Health Policy and Strategy Associates.  In the many articles I researched to find this one, I find Young’s objective journalism to be refreshing if not encouraging. I feel his article is solely intended to inform the general public and is not an article that can be interpretive of agenda setting.
                In closing, I would like to state that I am extremely pleased that my military benefits covering my healthcare enable me to be excluded from this healthcare act and I will not be one of the millions that must deal with Obamacare or these types of obstacles.  This is a good thing as I still do not fully understand all the controversy surrounding this issue. I invite you to read this article and to be aware of this situation and the need to act now in securing your healthcare coverage.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand most of the controversy surrounding this issue and probably never will.... This is a great article (and you are actually a very good writer). Enjoyed reading this my friend....

    Melinda Bridges Ciupek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent article. I think these issues surrounding the Affordable Healthcare Act need to be voiced much more often. I get the feeling that politicians from both sides are masking whats really going on.

    ReplyDelete